Sales funnel copywriting is the process of writing marketing content that is tailored to each stage of the sales funnel. The sales funnel is a framework that represents the journey that a potential customer goes through from awareness to purchase, and consists of the stages of awareness, interest, decision and action.
By understanding the different stages of the sales funnel and writing content that is tailored to each stage, businesses can more effectively market their products or services and increase conversions. This can include writing educational content for the awareness stage, highlighting unique features and benefits for the interest stage, addressing objections and concerns for the decision stage, and using a strong call to action for the action stage. Sales funnel copywriting can be a powerful tool for increasing conversions and driving sales.
The sales funnel is a framework that represents the journey that a potential customer goes through from awareness to purchase. It usually includes the following stages:
1. Awareness Stage
At the awareness stage, the potential customer becomes aware of the problem or need that your product or service can solve. At this stage, the focus should be on education and information-gathering, here are some things you can do:
- Clearly define the problem or need: Make sure to clearly define the problem or need that your product or service can solve, and how it will benefit the customer.
- Use educational content: Provide educational content that helps the customer to understand the problem or need, and how your product or service can solve it. Blog posts, articles, infographics, and videos are all examples of this.
- Use keywords: Include relevant keywords in your content to help improve the visibility of your website in search engine results. This can help more people to discover your product or service.
2. Interest Stage
At the interest stage, the potential customer is aware of the problem or need, and is considering options for solving it. At this stage, the focus should be on differentiating your product or service from competitors and highlighting the benefits and features. Apply these steps at this stage of the sales funnel:
- Clearly communicate the problem or need: Make sure to clearly communicate the problem or need that your product or service can solve, and how it will benefit the customer.
- Highlight unique features and benefits: Clearly communicate the unique features and benefits of your product or service, and how they differentiate your offering from competitors.
3. Desire Stage
At the desire stage refers to the point in the sales process where the customer is actively interested in the product or service being offered and is considering making a purchase. At this stage, the goal of the sales copy is to build a desire for the product or service and persuade the customer to take action.
There are several strategies that can be used to build desire at this stage of the sales process:
- Use persuasive language: Use language that is emotional and compelling to persuade the customer to take action.
- Pique their imagination and emotions: Use words that create an immersive experience that is visual and emotional to evoke a customer’s needs for survival, safety, being loved, self-esteem and self-actualisation.
Here’s an example of poor sales copy for a fitness programme:
This example of sales copy is typically bad because it lacks specific details about the program and how it will help the customer achieve their goals. It also uses overused and vague language, such as “easy” and “guaranteed to work,” which may not be credible or believable to the customer. It also lacks a strong call to action, as it simply tells the customer to “join now” without explaining why they should take action. Overall, this sales copy is not likely to effectively persuade the customer to take action.
Or you could do it this way:
In this example, the use of language that appeals to the customer’s desire to feel confident, energized, and healthy helps to build a desire for the product. The mention of the program being tailored to the customer’s individual goals and the inclusion of supportive trainers and nutritionists also helps to build desire and persuade the customer to take action.
4. Action Stage
At the action stage of a sales funnel, the potential customer is ready to make a purchase. This is the stage where it is most important to persuade the customer to choose your product or service and overcome any objections or concerns they may have. Here are a few tips for writing effective copy for the action stage of the sales funnel:
- Use a clear and compelling call to action: A strong call to action (CTA) can be the key to persuading the customer to take the next step. Make sure your CTA is clear, concise, and compelling, and use action verbs to encourage the customer to take action.
- Address objections: Anticipate and address any objections or concerns the customer may have about making a purchase. This can include addressing issues such as price, return policy, or product guarantees.
- Use scarcity or urgency: Creating a sense of scarcity or urgency can be a powerful way to persuade the customer to take action. This can include techniques such as limited-time offers or low inventory alerts.
- Use social proof: Including testimonials, reviews, or social media followers can help to increase the credibility and trustworthiness of your product or service, and encourage the customer to take action.
- Emphasize the benefits again: Make sure to clearly communicate the benefits of your product or service, and how it will solve the customer’s problem or meet their needs.
Can you imagine how using an effective sales funnel can totally transform your business and more effectively market your products or services and increase conversions?
If you are looking for assistance in copywriting for different stages of your sales funnel. We can help you craft compelling and persuasive language throughout the sales funnel to guide your visitors to your desired goal. Contact us today to see how my sales copywriting services can help you achieve your conversion goals.